Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Our Lovely Hospital Stay...

Ok, I'm totally out-of-order with my posts...we all know this is my downfall...posting. My April resolution is to be better about posting. We have so many out of town family and friends, I owe it to Avie to keep them updated! Have I mentioned that Avie is the biggest JOY?! Back in mid-January, we had a 3-day PICU stay. Yes, I said PICU. Sounds scary, but it really wasn't once we got there...they just wanted to monitor her more closely than they would in a regular room. Allow me to explain our reason for being hospitalized: Avie had been getting snotty for a couple of days. One night she woke up screaming so I went and got her and rocked her. While I was rocking her, she would quit breathing for several seconds at a time...it seemed like an eternity! It scared us half to death. We didn't wanna jump the gun and rush to the ER, not knowing if this was normal...she would catch her breath on her own anyway. We put her in the bed with us a nd watched her through the night. She woke up fine, but I ended up taking her to the dr the next morning. Dr. Ricks found the breathing episodes alarming so he called Avie's neurologist. While he was talking to him, he did an RSV test (which came back positive!). Seriously...she had zero rsv symptoms...we've had it twice before, and she didn't give me any reason to think she had it. Anyway, Dr. Pena (the neurologist) wanted to admit her to St. Francis to do an EEG to make sure it wasn't seizures. They also said the not-breathing could be from the RSV...babies do that sometimes with RSV. We got to the hospital and the PICU doc didn't want to do an EEG with her having RSV because they'd have to sedate her and there is a risk of respiratory arrest with sedation in babies that young. They did a CT Scan and found that one of her strokes had actually reversed itself a little! WOW! Everything else looked fine though. Apparently the breathing was the RSV because she's never done it since. We just had to be on the safe side, given her history.


She's just like her mama...
...and yes, she wore a bow with her jammies. I figured, if she has to be in the hospital, she can still be cute!


This is adorable to me...


Yes, the nurses let her loose from her wires to run around a bit. She found my boots...


....I slept in this crib with her the first night. Difficult...


Nana was with us too while daddy was at work (there was no sense in Chad missing work...they were only monitoring her...)! It was nice having company...hospitals are boring...


Everythings A-OK now! She's happy and healthy...still snotty, but hey...what's new? She's in daycare!





No comments:

Post a Comment