Thursday, February 17, 2011

A re-do.

 I've been wanting something taller in my foyer...as opposed to the shorter antique table I had in there. I wanted something with some storage space...

Chad's parents had this chest of drawers they weren't using anymore. It'd been sitting in our garage for a year and I'm pretty sure it wasn't going to be used ever again...until I brought it back to life. This dresser was bought unfinished...they painted it white...then years later, Chad's sister painted it red...then years after that, his mom painted it black. Needless to say, the finish wasn't in the best shape anymore...but it got some good use and I'm pretty sure they got their money's worth!

The finish was really bumpy, rough, bubbly, and sandpaper-y. Get it? It wasn't pretty. I decided to strip it. I'd never stripped anything before. This was a TOUGH job....especially with three coats of paint to strip. After I stripped it, I sanded it and cleaned it. I then sprayed a primer on it. (that was the easy part!). When that dried, I painted SEVERAL coats of white paint. I lost count of how many coats I put but it was alot! I don't know why it was taking so much to cover it. But it dried fast, so that was good! After I finished all the painting, I sanded and sanded and sanded! I wanted an antique, distressed look. I wiped some antiquing glaze over the sanded areas to "blacken" them. When it was how I wanted it, I sprayed three clearcoats and I was done!!!

What do ya think?


I got new pulls from Hobby Lobby. At 1/2 off, these Fleur de Lis wrought iron pulls were only $1 each!


I filled in the previous knob holes with wood filler and sanded so I could put middle pulls on some of the drawers.


Isn't she a beaut?



This was alot of hard work...but totally worth it! I got the outcome I was looking for and learned alot in the process! Can't wait to tackle my next piece! (be looking for my refinished jewelry armoire!)

No comments:

Post a Comment